Coachella Q&A: Goldroom
Goldroom has produced enough gold to fill up a hotel full of rooms. I'm talking one of those too-tall Dubai hotels that poke through the clouds, right by Cloud 9 where you can find me listening to his songs till sunrise. We had the chance to host a Q&A with Goldroom leading up to his performance at this year's Coachella Music Festival. We covered everything from past Coachella highlights, what's in his travel survival bag, to what's next on the horizon. Check it out:
1. When the Coachella lineup was announced, what's the best reaction you received from a fan, friend, or family member?
To be honest the best reactions all came from fellow musicians, especially the ones who have played there or been there before. Especially for people from California, it's a huge dream, so getting congratulations from locals was probably the most meaningful.
2. Are you a Coachella newbie? If so, what are you most excited or most nervous about? If you're a veteran, what's the one story that encapsulates your past Coachella experience? You know, the tale that all your friends make you tell over and over again.
My first Coachella experience was 2007, seeing Justice headline the Sahara tent. I was 15 or so rows back from the front, and I was lifted and thrown around the crowd for over an hour. It was completely visceral and awesome. The energy from the crowd was amazing. Other highlights I can remember (many I can't) include watching the Fleet Foxes at sunset, Phoenix's headline set, and Prince playing Purple Rain while it rained.
3. What's in your Coachella survival bag and does that bag include any extra special add-ons for your set that we can look forward to?
Water. Ear plugs. Sunscreen. This all sounds really lame, but that's the only way to make it through full festival days. Classic rookie mistake to try and do too much. Pick the bands you HAVE to see and let the rest just happen.
4. What fellow Coachella artist are you most likely to watch front & center both weekends?
LCD Soundsystem. No reason needed.
5. Post-Coachella, anything exciting on the horizon we should know about and share with the universe? Do you promise to tell KKS next time you play in LA? Pinky promise?
Wellllllll, I'm doing my boat tour again this summer, which I'm really excited about. The big development with Goldroom is that I'm finishing up my debut full length, which I should have some details on in the very near future. And yes of course I will!