Coachella Q&A: Matoma
As we've reported before, Matoma's music is the kind you'll find yourself dancing down the grocery store aisle to, while singing aloud, and somehow managing to channel choreography from cirque du soleil. Meanwhile, you have your headphones on so you’re oblivious to the some soccer mom who is within leap distance just trying to mind her own business, buying Lunchtables and juice or whatever for the kids!! Then you realize everyone’s watching you but instead of panicking you finish the performance strong climbing onto the soda end-cap display and hitting a pose.
We had the chance to host a short Q&A with Matoma leading up to his performance at this year's infamous Caochella Music Festival. We covered his reaction to the news, what's in his travel survival bag, and more - here's the shakedown:
1. When the Coachella lineup was announced, what's the best reaction you received from a fan, friend, or family member?
I think the biggest reaction was from my manager Andrew and booking agent Ferry! They both called me on FaceTime all pumped up when we got the confirmation, because we were all planning towards this as such a huge achievement! All the fans online have been great, everyone is excited for me and that just inspires me to put on the best show I can for my fans.
2. Are you a Coachella newbie? If so, what are you most excited or most nervous about? If you're a veteran, what's the one story that encapsulates your past Coachella experience? You know, the tale that all your friends make you tell over and over again.
Yes I've never been! I think I'm most excited about the place, just with the mountains, the palm trees, the sunsets, it looks so beautiful and so tropical haha! Plus I have a dope house with a pool so I can relax in the sun with my friends the day after the show.
3. What's in your Coachella survival bag and does that bag include any extra special add-ons for your set that we can look forward to?
In my bag is the usual travel stuff and my laptop etc, but what's on the laptop is pretty special! I've been working hard on new music and have some new content to surprise people with!
4. What fellow Coachella artist are you most likely to watch front & center both weekends?
5. Post-Coachella, anything exciting on the horizon we should know about and share with the universe? Do you promise to tell KKS next time you play in LA? Pinky promise?
Haha yeah! Definitely playing in LA again later this year! After Coachella I'm playing a few more US gigs then going back to tour Europe for most of the summer and spend some time with friends and family in between weekends. But I have so much new music I'm working on that's coming together, a lot of surprises left on the Hakuna Matoma album journey, I've really just started!
If you need a refresher to Matoma's greatness, and the perfect song to top your my-playlist-is-better-than-yours playlist, we suggest you run to "Running Out" featuring the talented vocalist Astrid S.